POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.news-submissions : Processor benchmarking using POV-Ray : Re: Processor benchmarking using POV-Ray Server Time
27 Apr 2024 05:16:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Processor benchmarking using POV-Ray
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 19 Aug 2003 17:00:01
Message: <3f428fd1$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3f41d51d@news.povray.org> , "Hughes, B." <omn### [at] charternet>
wrote:

> Below is the web address to an article from two months ago, which might not
> be worthy of "news" for www.povray.org web site but could be of interest to
> people keeping tabs on the usual AMD vs. Intel scores. Unfortunately the
> reviewer seems to be using the old chess.pov benchmark instead of the newer
> one with version 3.5. I've only just now e-mailed the reviewer to ask about
> it.
>
> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1409&page=3

Is this on Linux or Windos?

> My personal observation would be that the gap between AMD and Intel has
> narrowed significantly since the previous crop of processors. Intel is so
> bad with FPU!  :-)
>
> Here's another web page showing off the P-R 3.5 benchmark.
>
> http://www.linuxhardware.org/features/03/02/19/1544249.shtml

This site claims turing off SSE2 yields better performance on a P4.  Unless
I missed something in that article, this is simply wrong.

Honestly, I don't think any of the benchmarks using POV-Ray on these two
pages where conducted well...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde